From 4e5d56ca0679bc06f9e0496d205ca3990dd9700f Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001 From: escfrpls Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2026 19:21:44 +0200 Subject: Initial import of Drohiczyn-Poleski site --- posts/en/Torokany_church.html | 359 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 1 file changed, 359 insertions(+) create mode 100644 posts/en/Torokany_church.html (limited to 'posts/en/Torokany_church.html') diff --git a/posts/en/Torokany_church.html b/posts/en/Torokany_church.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000..c02498b --- /dev/null +++ b/posts/en/Torokany_church.html @@ -0,0 +1,359 @@ + + + + + + The church in Imienin (Torokany) and the Basilian Order + + + + +

The church in Imienin (Torokany) and the Basilian Order

+
+ Date: 2024-07-04    |    + Tags: Imienin, Torokany +
+ + + +

The Basilian monastery has been mentioned in Torokany since the 16th century.

+ +

It is mentioned in 2 books:

+ + +

Torokany has long belonged to the Orthodox monastery of St. Nicholas Zidiczyn. But after the Union of Brest, the whole complex was handed over to the Uniates. In 1656 in Torokany was held a congregation of the Basilian order, and already in 1599 Torokany were given to the Roman nobleman Peter Arcudiu, where then in 1710 was built a new church instead of the old one. And in 1712 the stone buildings of the monastery were built by Agafia Piaszczynska, a Wolyn kasztelianka. This construction and renovation of the monastery was approved by Lev Kiszka with the approval of the Byten Congregation.

+ +

In Torokany lived protoarchimandrites who came from the Province of the Holy Trinity: Polykarp Migunewizc (1743-1747), Irakli Lysanski (1751-1759), Porfiry Skarbek-Wazynski (1772-1780 and 1788-1790) and the penultimate protoarchimandrite Athanasius Falkowski (1793-1802).

+ +

The list of Christian Catholic settlements of 1726 mentions Torokany (Torokanie).

+ +
+ List of Christian Catholic settlements 1726 +
Christian Catholic settlements, 1726
+
+ +

At the moment it is not known what happened to the old church. In 1780, a church was built in Torokany by Bishop Gedeon Dashkewicz-Gobacki of Pinsk, a stone church. From the beginning of the XVIII century there was the residence of the proto-archimandrite - the head of the order, at the monastery there was a large library with unique folios. Around the monastery there were gardens, orchards, apiaries and a park belonging to it.

+ +

Also in RGIA there are preserved metric books for this church from 1797 to 1801.

+ +
+ Metric books 1797-1801 RGIA +
RGIA metric books, 1797–1801
+
+ +

From July 21 to September 13, 1780 in the Torokany monastery took place an important in the history of the Basilian Chin general chapter, at which the Order was divided into four provinces: the Belarusian province of St. Nicholas, the Russian province of the Protection of the Mother of God, the Galician province of the Holy Savior and the Lithuanian province of the Holy Trinity. Also in the monastery in 1784 was held the chapter of the Lithuanian province, and in 1802 - the last general chapter of the Basilian Order in the Russian Empire.

+ +

On the Marmon site there are Uniate metrics for 1823-1842.

+ +
+ Uniate metrics 1823-1842 +
Uniate metrics, 1823–1842
+
+ +

There is also a list of the Uniate clergy of the church:

+ + +

The abbots of the monastery at different periods were:

+ + +

After 1839 the church was handed over to the Orthodox together with the whole complex of the monastery. It was served by 25 monks. In 1842 the monastery was ranked in the 3rd class. In 1874 it was abolished, and its buildings and estate were transferred to the Grodno Boris and Gleb Monastery. The monetary sums were transferred to the nunneries of Wilno and Grodno. In 1897 the church in Torokany became a regular parish church.

+ +

On Rittich's maps for 1864, the church in Torokany is marked on the map

+ +
+ Rittich map 1864 +
Rittich map, 1864
+
+ +

Also in 1866, Schubert's maps show the church and the then former Basilian monastery.

+ +
+ Schubert map 1866 +
Schubert map, 1866
+
+ +

In the book "Descriptions of churches and parishes. Grodno Orthodox Church Calendar. Volume 1", there is information about the church and monastery in Torokany for 1899 from the time of its mention.

+ +
+ Church description 1899 +
Descriptions of churches and parishes, 1899
+
+ +

Starting from the time of II Rzeczypospolitej 1918 - 1938. On the territory of eastern Poland (now Brest and Grodno regions, Belarus) Uniatism (so-called Neounia) was returned, so almost all Orthodox churches were marked on Polish maps as churches. But we will talk about this in the next article.

+ +

The church in Torokany was active and was considered to be a Uniate church. There are preserved metrics in the Grodno archive.

+ +
+ Grodno archive metrics 1923-1930 +
Grodno archive metrics, 1923–1930
+
+ +

The church was also marked on Polish maps.

+ +
+ Polish map 1919-1939 +
Polish WIG map, 1919–1939
+
+ +

Many photos of the church and monastery of that time, still in operation, have also survived.

+ +
+ Church photo 1901-1938 +
Torokany church, 1901–1938
+
+ +
+ Church photo 1919-1938 +
Torokany church, 1919–1938
+
+ +
+ Church photo 1938 +
Torokany church, 1938
+
+ +
+ Church photo 1938 second +
Torokany church, 1938
+
+ +
+ Church photo 1939 +
Torokany church, 1939
+
+ +
+ Church photo 1944-1949 +
Torokany church, 1944–1949
+
+ +
+ Agriculture school +
Torokany agriculture school
+
+ +

The Torokans were visited by the Catholic Nuncio, which was captured in the photo below.

+ +
+ Catholic Nuncio visit +
Catholic Nuncio visiting Torokany
+
+ +

And here in the photo are the Uniate youth with their mentor.

+ +
+ Uniate youth with mentor +
Uniate youth with their mentor
+
+ +

After the arrival of the communist authorities, the monastery and church fell into disrepair and were subsequently destroyed:

+ +

The memorial of the church was destroyed by a fire in 1943, and by a massacre during the partisan activities. The building was burned down, and the people of Murov were killed. "The old church building is not suitable for prayer purposes due to its technical condition, the believers do not undertake repairs, the priest has been absent for more than nine months, and the service is not held" [DABV F.1482, vop.2, pl. 6, ark. 32]. In 1948 the building was given to the Zdanow Kalgas (collective farm) for further expansion into an agricultural club, and in the 1950s the cantonments were razed.

+ +

The modern parish church was built in 2004. With the blessing of Archbishop of Brest and Kobrin Konstantin (Khomich), the place for the construction of the church was consecrated by Archpriest Piotr Pinchuk of Drohichy district on June 9, 1998.

+ +
+ Modern church 2020 +
Modern parish church, 2020
+
+ +

There are also remnants of the old monastery, which are now used by the local collective farm.

+ +
+ Monastery ruins +
Remains of the old monastery
+
+ +
+ Monastery ruins 2 +
Old monastery remnants
+
+ +
+ Monastery ruins 3 +
Monastery ruins used by local collective farm
+
+ +

Also Alexander Pinszuk made a virtual restoration of the church, if it had been preserved, could look like this:

+ +
+ Virtual restoration +
Virtual restoration of the church
+
+ +
+

Links and information used in the material

+ +
+ +
+ ← Return to Main Page +
+ + + + -- cgit v1.2.3