From 4e5d56ca0679bc06f9e0496d205ca3990dd9700f Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001 From: escfrpls Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2026 19:21:44 +0200 Subject: Initial import of Drohiczyn-Poleski site --- posts/en/Worocewicze_church.html | 198 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 1 file changed, 198 insertions(+) create mode 100644 posts/en/Worocewicze_church.html (limited to 'posts/en/Worocewicze_church.html') diff --git a/posts/en/Worocewicze_church.html b/posts/en/Worocewicze_church.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000..9caee4b --- /dev/null +++ b/posts/en/Worocewicze_church.html @@ -0,0 +1,198 @@ + + + + + + Church in Worocewicze + + + + +

Church in Worocewicze

+
+ Date: 2024-07-02    |    + Tags: Worocewicze +
+ + + +

There is no exact date of construction of the church in Worocewicze at the moment. Therefore, we will start from the dates known to us.

+ +

The earliest mention of the church can be considered the Uniate metric books for 1757–1801, which are in the RGIA.

+ +
+ RGIA Uniate records 1757-1801 +
RGIA Uniate metric books, 1757–1801
+
+ +

Also on the Marmon website, you can find Uniate metric records for our church from 1798–1834.

+ +
+ Marmon Uniate records 1798-1834 +
Marmon Uniate records, 1798–1834
+
+ +

There is also information about clergymen who served in Worocewicze and who were born there, but worked in other areas.

+ + +

After the Council of Polotsk in 1839, the church was handed over to the Orthodox.

+ +

It is not known what became of the old church, but in 1842 a new wooden church was built. It was designed by senior civil engineer Yanovsky in 1842 to replace the old church. The contractors were residents of Chernigov province I. C. Sergeev and his son Kuzma. This wooden church stood until about 1880.

+ +

The church was marked on the maps of Rittich and Schubert as active.

+ +
+ Rittich map 1864 +
1864, Rittich maps
+
+ +
+ Schubert map 1866-1887 +
1866–1887, Schubert maps
+
+ +

The new church was built in 1869–1872 (1874) from brick. It was consecrated in 1872. The choice of the site for construction and its plan in 1868 was made by engineer-architect M. E. Czakmasow and private surveyor Tarasewicz. Its consecration took place on October 26, 1872 by His Grace Vladimir, Bishop of Bialystok. The parish was assigned land (70 dessiatinas) in the tracts "Rosachatec", "Struga", "Hlinki", "Zajaszchere", hayfields near Guta and forest in the Klimentinowo tracts. One of the first priests who conducted divine service was Roman Leczewich. The estimate for the erection of the church was made by the architect N. N. Bartaszewski. When clearing the site, the inn was demolished. For the temple was used "normal project No. 2" for a church for 300 people.

+ +

After the revolution, at the time of II Rzeczpospolitej, the church was active and was marked on maps.

+ +
+ Polish map II RP +
Polish map, 1921–1939
+
+ +

After World War II, the church was closed, more precisely in 1962 the church was closed. After a long petition of the believers, the church was reopened in 1983.

+ +

At present, the church is active and in good condition.

+ +
+ Church in Worocewicze, 2020 +
Church in Worocewicze, 2020
+
+ +
+

References and information used in the material

+ +
+ +
+ ← Return to Main Page +
+ + + -- cgit v1.2.3